Monday, March 12, 2012

Potty Success! Don't read unless you like potty training stories

Well, ever since Hannah showed interest in wearing Elmo panties about a week ago, we have been letting her wear them around the house until she has an accident then putting her into a diaper.  Then I got some pull ups because she was really not happy about wearing a diaper.  But she knows pull ups are diapers.
She has been going in the potty maybe once a day and having at least one accident a day. (Mostly diapers).
Challenges
The problem is when I say "If you pee pee in the potty you get candy"  She hears "blah blah candy" and throws a fit until she gets hysterical and eventually just fizzles out.
Also, she can go a long time without peeing and she loves her panties and is very anti-diaper.  This is also an occasion to throw a big loud fit no matter where we are (or how late we are going to be).
She hasn't been big on hanging out on the potty.  I figured we would just read books and sing songs on the potty until she goes.  But she doesn't want to wait.  And many times isn't in the mood to sit on the potty at all.  Also fine, except that she won't wear pull ups.  Did I mention she does NOT want to wear a diaper.
Set back
Saturday we had an incident where I let her wear panties out in public and she said potty.  So I picked her up and RAN to the bathroom.  She sat on the potty for about 5 seconds (nothing) and she said all done.  I tried singing and performing to entertain her but she was DONE being on the potty.  So I said the word... candy... well she was happy and I gave her some.  Then she wanted off the potty.  So I took the candy.  So she threw a FIT.  I told her just sit on the potty and I will give it back.  She did not accept my terms.
So I pulled up her panties and just took her outside the store so she could finish her fit.  (Not to mention I couldn't find my phone to call for backup) Finally she peed in her pants.  I think she really had to go and couldn't quite figure it out.  Poor baby she was much happier after that although I did put a pull up on her.
Success
So today she threw another fit.  She wanted the pull ups off and wanted panties but wouldn't sit on the potty.  It was a dry pull up so I knew she had to go.  Threw a fit when we wouldn't let her wear panties.  Wouldn't sit on the potty.  Wouldn't wear the pull ups.
I guess we finally got through to her cause after 30 minutes of throwing a fit, she grabbed my hand and lead me to the bathroom where she sat on the potty and instructed me to read to her.
She almost immediately PEED IN THE POTTY!
I screamed with excitement and she cried (literally) with relief (in my opinion).
She was much happier after that and got a tootsie pop.
And Hannah was happy and proud. And Mommy was so happy and proud of Hannah!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Too funny! I have so many suggestions for you but you'll figure it out. I used sink the Cheerios but that won't work for Hannah! Good luck and love you, Aunt Lynn